Thursday

Instant Qunioa and Pumpkin Handvo


pumpkin handvo

Hello Sweeties!!!! I am too late to do any recap for year 2013 and its almost end of the first month o year 2014. I meant to be regular in posting new recipes, but whatever I made is alreayd on the blog. 

We Maharashtrians celebrate the festival of Sankrant in January. I have so far made Sesame fudge/ Tilgul mau wadya and gul poli twice so far. They get over at the speed of the lightening I feel. So anytime I expect someone coming over, I have to make it again.



Overindulging in such sweets has started making me feel guilty. So to overcome that, I also made this savory Handvo but in  a cake form. I had to finish  a big chunk of red pumpkin, but if you want to save the trouble of pureeing pumpkin, use the canned version, works equally fine. 

You will need;  1 cup cooked Quinoa
**To cook Quinoa, wash the grains in 4-5 changes of water, this will help remove the bitterness, alternatively soak in water, but I find the washing better in removing the bitterness. then double amount of water cook just like rice for 10-15 mins. cool and then fluff, its ready to use.
1/2 cup Coarse sooji/rava
1/2 cup Yogurt
2 cups Pumpkin Puree
1/2 cup Besan/Chick pea flour
1/2 tsp Citric Acid
1 tsp Green chili paste
1 tsp Ginger grated
1 tsp Red chili/cayenne Powder
1 tspn Cumin powder
1 tspn Corriander powder
1 tbspn Flax seeds
 1 tbspn ENO fruit salt
Salt to taste  

Tempering; 3 Tbspn Oil
1 tbspn Mustard seeds
1 tbspn Cumin/Jeera seeds
3 Tbspn sesame seeds
5-7 curry leaves
1 tspn aesofodita/hing
1 tspn Haldi/Turmeric

In a wok, mix the rava/sooji and the cooked quinoa, add in the besan and all the dry ingredients and spices, salt, citric acid red chili and flax seeds, mix well and then add the yogurt and the pumpkin puree and mix well. We need a flowing consistency, so adjust water. I did not need any, as I used little to puree the pumpkin. Stir well and last lastly prepare the tempering. 


In a wok, take the oil, when it smokes, reduce the heat and add the tempering ingredients in the similar order. Pour half of the tempering into the batter, stir well and add the ENO fruit salt and stir once. 

Lastly  prepare the pans for baking. Oil spray two pans and pour the mixture and add the rest of the tempering over the batter and bake in a pre heated oven at 375 degree for 30-40 minutes. Enjoy this healthy snack with a cup of chai or just as is.

Photobucket

No comments: