Thursday

Kothimbir-Methi Paratha- Cilantro Fenugreek Flatbread

Hello Dearies!!! I am back today with another kids favorite. Both my boys love taking parathas, as they are easy to eat and filing also. But the main reason for me to make lunch box items that are  kid friendly is to avoid them being teased by their peers. Indian food is spicy, and has a distinct smell. I by no means give them traditional foods or even with strong spices. 

Donut takes food from home mainly because we are vegetarians and the hot lunch option  from school has cheese almost everyday in its menu. Its either cheese toast or cheese quesadilla or buttered noodles with cheese sauce. He prefers home cooked food so its mainly sandwiches, fried rice or noodles. I do not give him tadka rice, tamarind rice or biryani etc which can be difficult to eat for some and the strong spicy aroma difficult for others.

Yet  a few days back, he was mocked and teased over his lunch of fried rice. It was really unfortunate on part of the students to ridicule their peer over lunch/food. We did take it up and discussed the incident with the school authorities. But it has become a matter of concern as  a parent if things are going the way they should be.

I was suggested by some of my very happening friends that we overreacted and teasing was just a boy thing. I should have been more careful in giving the lunch to my kid that he does not get mocked at. 

Is this the way we react and is this the message we want to give our kids? If this is not bullying what is?

Respect is something kids need to learn from the young age and learn to treat others the way they want to be treated themselves. Mocking or teasing is fun only when both parties enjoy the happenings. If one party is getting hurt and offended that amounts to harassment and bullying.

In my never ending effort to give  healthy, easy for me to make and easy for them to eat lunch, I am sticking to  some simple meals. I try adding an egg for the growing boys as  our diet needs some form of protein. However much I try, I cannot guarantee that Donut will not be teased over food, but at least I can try to eliminate/reduce it at my end.

To make the Parathas;

You will need;


2 cup Whole Wheat Flour

1/2 cup Cilantro washed, drained and Finely Chopped
2 Tbspn Kasuri/Dry Methi Leaves-Crushed
Salt to taste

1 tsp Red chili/cayenne powder

1 tspn Haldi/Turmeric

1/2 tsp cumin powder

1/2 tsp coriander powder

1/2 Amchur or dry mango powder

1tsp Sugar

1 tsp Garam masala

2 tbspn oil to knead the dough

Water as needed to make the dough soft.

In a wide bowl, take the cilantro and dry methi leaves and the dry powders and add salt and sugar, add oil and mix well, now start adding the flour and start mixing in the flour. Add teaspoon by tea spoon water till you have a soft pliable dough. Once  the dough is soft enough, cover  and let rest for 15-20 mins.


After the dough is rested, roll out the parathas like you would make roti's( make small balls  of the dough and roll out thin round tortillas dusting flour if the tortillas stick to the surface). Heat a griddle or tawa on medium heat and cook the partahas on one side. Flip the parathas and spray oil and cook the other side. Repeat on side one and cook both sides. Serve hot with some ketchup. or green chutney or any curry of your choice.


Optional: If making it for kids lunch, I usually scramble an egg with milk and make a small frankie of the egg with the paratha, in this way.












Hope that you all have a wonderful time and smile when you see your little one bringing home empty lunch boxes.

Photobucket

10 comments:

Ms.Chitchat said...

Loved the combo, very healthy. Appreciate ur effort to send healthy lunch boxes to kids. Loved the click as well.

Unknown said...

This indeed is a healthy paratha...and perfect for lunch box...

Vidya Chandrahas said...

Very inviting, healthy and yummy paratha..

divya said...

looks soo tempting n delicious...

Manasi said...

Ridicule over Indian ( or any cuisine that uses spices ex: Mediterranean/ Thai/ Chinese) is very common is school.That said, I must add, it is inexcusable.
If you do not like something, don't bother with it or bother others about it.
Tolerance and respect- this is primarily the parents responsibility and after that, the teachers at school.
I have seen many parents having rather prejudiced opinions about cultures, practices, food. Sadly, they pass them on to the kids too.

Donut needs to shrug off these little people , hold his head high and say, " I like the healthy and fresh food my Mom gives, at least she takes the trouble to cook it, not microwave it or slap 2 slices of bread with PBnJ in between"

I like the new clean look! Fresh and nice! Now if u would just get rid of the word verification ;)

Unknown said...

Yummm roti looking so inviting

runnergirlinthekitchen.blogspot.com said...

I have only heard of the good side of being in the US and sometimes even wish that hubby gets a job there so that we can see some more of the world. But this is ridiculous, being made fun off , for bringing good , healthy Indian food?? Really these kids have to learn to respect others and their culture! Totally unacceptable. I hope your son is ok now and does not shy away from Indian food, and hope u are ok too. As a mom u have so many challenges already! Love your effort in making something delicious and 'acceptable' every day to school. Lots of hugs!

Anonymous said...

Indians are 'teased' on their food not just in schools but also at workplaces (my personal experience) and its about the 'smell' not about bringing in homemade food. Surprisingly, I havent found the same kind of reaction of these people to Chineese food or other diverse cultural ethnic food which might seem replusive to us Indian vegetarians so I've just concluded that its an unfamiliar smell that gets the most reaction and since children don't filter their reactions as us adults they react instantly without thinking how it would hurt someone. I am not supporting on being teased, I am a victim too, I am just sharing my opinion.

Methi has one of the most replusive odours for Americans (again, based on personal experience), what we consider aromatic is often considered 'stinking awful smell'. You have been planning your sons meals with care but its impossible to really know what can bother those around him unless some good friend/well wisher tells you/him. As an adult, colleagues might not tease him on his face but call him stinky names behind his back. We have to adapt thinking 'When in Rome do what Romans do' or get used to it. Sorry for the long comment but I had to share this.

Unknown said...

Dear Anonymous,
Thanks for the comment. Would help to know your name then say Dear Anon. I guess you misread the part that my son was teased over the fried rice lunch and not the methi partaha lunch he took. Surprisingly the one who initiated the tease was from South East Asia and others joined in. I do agree that some Indian spices smell but then does BBQ not smell? I agree when in Rome to some point, but not fully. I appreciate your comment and this has certainly made me re think school lunch options for my kids. I still stick to respecting others and minding your own business is what we should learn early on.
Love Ash.

Anonymous said...

I checked the fried rice recipe. It was the Maggi masala packet that caused the tease, that has unknown spices. Again, I am only saying this with confidence as a well wisher and as a victim myself.

Yes, the BBQ and their meat/bacon which are unfamiliar to our bodies and minds do bother us but since we know how it feels to be teased or looked down upon for this we dont react in a way that will offend others. Anybody who goes through this experience gets wiser and keeps his/her opinions to himself/herself.

A pinch of unknown and unfamiliar ingredient causes quite a stir. I used to get angry at this and feel its unfair but after I realised the root cause I think of it differently. An unknown, unfamiliar 'odour' is registered by the brain as a 'threat' and the immediate reaction by any living being is to alert his flock/group by making a noise or some action. Ever observed how most animals sniff to detect any threat? In civilized human society we are trained to supress this reaction, but our brain still reacts instantly and we stop our breathing for a few seconds as soon as it detects an unpleasant odour, you might have experienced this yourself. Children and some adults react on impulse in the primitive and natural way and alert others / tease/ talk about it.

Again, I am not saying its right or wrong, just sharing a fact. It doesnt have to be cooked food or spices, even some raw veggies that have distinct smell can be reacted upon. Good Luck!