Thursday

Doodhi Che Ghavan- Bottle Gourd Pancake.

Eggless Squash Chilla with whole wheat

Hello Sweet Buds!! Spring is in the air. Today it rained which is a good sign, April showers brings May Flowers. Spring is the season where new gives way to old. New Blossoms, new buds and new beginnings. Spring also is the time for gardening.

I am planning on making some organic gardening like growing my own herbs, vertical gardening and such. Watch this space as I pave my way in the vertical gardening space. 

I was reading an article few days back, where they were discussing the vertical growth of the metro cities. The land as such is all used up and there is no space anymore to widen the cities. So now vertical growth of the cities is happening. Roof top swimming pools, rooftop Gardens and roof top play areas are being planned.

I am not able to grasp the vertical growth syndrome we are all running behind. The structure has to bear the weight of the things put on it. Are we not heading towards self destruction. The weaker construction, cost cutting construction ways and things that we see make me think of a structure we used to build with playing cards when we were small. One wiff of air and it crumbled to the floor.

Recently, Donut made a "I Care" project in school, where he spoke about earthworm farming, organic ways to grow food and like. Where did he learn that? beats me.

I and the kids enjoy one activity in summer when it rains. We have an old house and the soil is rich, clay like. When it rains we see a lot of earthworms coming out of the soil. It has been a practice with us that we each pick them up with sticks and put them in the soil. While doing this we discuss how that will help make our soil rich and help us grow healthy veggies. 

Things keep changing around us, at times we change or at time situations change. Some things however never change in Ashland. Healthy food and my nag for eating good and enjoying life to the fullest. 

This meal was the result of strong dislike towards doodhi by Ms. Ash. I like the sweet halwa made from it, but the subji or veggie preparation turns me off. But this is an helping vegetable that should be a part of our diet, so I disguise it in a pancake.

You will need;
1 cup Wheat flour -
1/2 cup Rice Flour
1 tbspn Besan
1 chopped Big onion
1 and 1/2 cup Grated Doodhi/Bottle Gourd or any squash
1/2 tsp chili powder
1/2 tsp cumin-coriander powder
1 green chili - chopped fine
1 tbsp chopped curry leaves
few coriander leaves
Salt and Sugar to taste
2 tbsp refined oil

water as needed


In a wide bowl take the above and mix with water till you get a flowing liquid. Heat a skillet, grease well with oil and  make pancakes of about 5-6 inches. Serve hot with any dipping. I made Beetroot Raita to go along with my healthy pancakes.


Photobucket

6 comments:

Priya Suresh said...

Very healthy pancakes,never tried pancakes with doodhi,cant wait to make some.

Unknown said...

Very new recipe to me dear, looks yum... would love to have this for breakfast/ dinner

Madhavi said...

Yummyyyy pancakes!!!

Manasi said...

Vertical gardening, sounds very interesting! I have a black thumb, I will stick to petunias, i guess ;)

I like ghavan, but i tasted it only a few years ago! what a lovely quick fix and healthy.

runnergirlinthekitchen.blogspot.com said...

Vertical growth interesting.. we hardly have any place on ground these days.
I want some ghavans now with curd!

Blackswan said...

Hi Ash, I'm back from hotel reviews in Penang; glad to be back cause it's super hot there. Great to see your lovely post again! Pardon me if I'm slow in going thru your posts the next few weeks as I'll be tied up with my reviews; but I'll be back to catch up. BTW, r u in Facebook? Can't seem to find u there :<