Wednesday

Spring Onion Paratha- Guest post for Jagruti's Cooking Odyssey

I am back again with  a quick lunch or  an easy lunch box menu.item. Also, I am asked to do a guest post for JCO. JagsBen as I call her is a dear blogger(Jagruti's Cooking Odyssey), who I came to know recently through FB. I was drawn to her b log due to its screen presence, awesome food and easy to make gujarati recipes. I was super thrilled when she asked me to do a a guest post for her. Being new in this game, I was lost, as to what I would do that she has not yet done ..so I came across this. As this is  A Moms day Week, I am posting a recipe that My dear mom always made. She made this Subji a lot.. But being a MOM today, I am always in search of extra time and less efforts recipes. I turned  the leftover bhaji/subji into parathas.

Peeth perun bhaji  was posted last week. Today's post is an innovation that I did when I had some leftover subji and needed some stuffing for kids lunch parathas. I have seen most kids make faces, wiggle noses when you ask them to eat roti-subji, but give them parathas with the same subji stuffed in the roti with KETCHUP and down their throats the food slides. The reason for making ketchup go bold is that all kids love ketchup, I have seen eat kids ketchup with rice too. I know weird kids, maybe they all in my family alone. But we as kdis loved varan-bhat tup mith limbu and ketchup. it was like the salt on our plate.  Must have kind of go to food.


You will need;

For the stuffing/Subji

2 bunches spring onions, after you clean them and chop them, they should fill approx 2 cups.
We get 3-4 spring onions in one bunch.
2-3 tbspn besan/chickpea flour
Again this will depend on how much water the onions give out.

Tempering;
2 tbspn Oil
1 tspn mustard/rai seeds
1/2 tspn Cumin/jeera
1/2 tspn carrom/ajwain seeds
1tspn Turmeric
1 pinch hing/aesofodita
Salt to taste
Sugar a pinch, Optional

In a wok, heat the oil till hot, then add the mustard seeds, let them splutter then add the jeera, ajwain and let that sizzle for one second, then add the turmeric, hing and the chopped onion springs, cover and let it wilt and sweat the water out, reduce the heat to low. Add in the salt, sugar and let it sweat a bit. You will need to add a bit more salt than regular as we will be adding besan. Once the salt is incorporated and the onions are wilted well, add in the besan spoon by spoon. The quantity of the besan will depend on how much water the onions have given out. Adding spoon by spoon helps in judging how much flour would be needed. Once the mixture looks wet and the onions get covered with the flour, stir it well and cover and let cook for 5 minutes, on low heat. After 5 mins, stir once and see if the flour is cooked, if not let it cook covered for anr 2 minutes. The subji will stick to the pan, use more oil if needed, or use non stick pan to cook. I like the burnt scrapping so I let it stick before scrapping it into a serving bowl. The peeth perun bhaji is ready for your loved ones.





 For cover;
1 cup whole wheat flour
1 tspn salt
1 tbspn oil
water as needed to knead into a soft dough

For cover;
1 cup whole wheat flour
1 tspn salt
1 tbspn oil
water as needed to knead into a soft dough
In a bowl, mix the oil and salt and water and knead into a soft pliable dough.

Make equal size balls of the dough and stuffing. Roll a small ball/poori and stuff the stuffing and close the ends, dust some flour and roll into  a roti/paratha of about 5-7 inches in diameter.



Heat  a skillet/tawa and roast it while applying some oil/ghee/butter on both sides. Enjoy with some ketchup/yogourt/pickle or chutney of your choice.

Sending this to Gayathris WTML event hosted by Sizzlingveggie

Photobucket

9 comments:

Tina said...

Flavourful paratha...

Priya Suresh said...

Definitely a healthy and super filling flavourful paratha,saw at Jag's space too..Beautiful guest post.

PACHANTI said...

Lovely Parathas ash... looks so yummy :-)
KRUPA

PACHANTI said...

Looks yummy ash :-) Wonderful post ....
Krupa

Blackswan said...

I've been reading a lot of paratha these days. Looks like I've to join my family in this popular food too :)

Balvinder said...

Baking is my passion ,too. I am gluten free Indian but never deprive myself of any taste.I try to incorporate baking in my cooking wherever I can.
No compulsion, but feel free to visit my blog to see if you find anything interesting.
I like to add leftover sabji to Paratha,I guess this is the Indian thing.
Liked the idea of adding Kabir's Doha at the end.Have a wonderful weekend!

Supriya's Rasoi said...

Hello dear I am your new follower. Love the Paratha do visit my blog in ur free time.

Jayanthi said...

Lovely parathas...looks fantastic. Thanks for linking it to WTML event & giveaway

Torviewtoronto said...

paratha looks wonderful