Wednesday

Kandyachi Peeth-Perun Bhaji- Spring Onion with Chickpea flour Subji and my 200th post and an award


Yes Lovelies its 200th post for Indulge-ashscorner. Hence this long title and what better way to celebrate it with than an traditional maharashtrian subji. Ideally it should have been a sweet, but savory is the way to go for me now. Ever since cutting down on sweets, I am finding ways to curb my sweet and salt cravings. Replacing papads and pickles with such side dishes has helped me make the transition better.

Peeth perun bhaji is a type of preparation that can make any maharahstrian go weak in his knees. The peak of the ultimate comfort food, is what it is for me. This is a way of making any green leafy vegetable most common used  are spring onions, or radish leaves with chickpea flour or besan. Capsicum is also used for some added variation. Peeth perun is a technique where the flour is incorporated into the vegetable after it sweats a bit.This is ready in very few minutes and take no time. So if you have less time and need to use up those radish leaves, make this today,. But there is one caveat. The amount you start with and the amount you end with will be very dicey. This is ideal when you just need to add one more side to your platter or better when you simply need to supplement the veggie of the day, make this. This is  a dry preparation and goes well with dal rice and bhakri or roti or any flatbread.

I was very picky eater and choosy when it came to food. I was not very willing to try new foods, new ways of cooking and always liked food at my friends place better than what my Mom made. I am amazed at how good my boys are who do not ever say that my friends mom cooks better than you ma. I was not the case for sure. For me the grass was always greener on my friends lawn. I am sorry for the pesky kid I was Mom. Some things however I did enjoy at my home was this bhaji/subji. I try to get the taste my mom gets, but am not there yet. I use her recipe to the T but still its  a miss at times. My mom always made this peeth eprun bahji using spring onions, radish leaves and capsicum to name  a few, when we were traveling in trains on long journeys and as this made meals a less messy. She made wraps form pooris or phulkas and stuffed them with dry subji's most times it was this subji. Only if she knew that what she called as poli-folds was today's kathi rolls, she would have been a famous chef. The next post will be the innovation I did with this subji, But for now, lets see how to go about making this.

You will need;
2 bunches spring onions, after you clean them and chop them, they should fill approx 2 cups.
We get 3-4 spring onions in one bunch.
2-3 tbspn besan/chickpea flour
Again this will depend on how much water the onions give out.

Tempering;
2 tbspn OIl
1 tspn mustard/rai seeds
1/2 tspn Cumin/jeera
1/2 tspn carrom/ajwain seeds
1tspn Turmeric
1 pinch hing/aesofodita
Salt to taste
Sugar a pinch, Optional

In a wok, heat the oil till hot, then add the mustard seeds, let them splutter then add the jeera, ajwain and let that sizzle for one second, then add the turmeric, hing and the chopped onion springs, cover and let it wilt and sweat the water out, reduce the heat to low. Add in the salt, sugar and let it sweat a bit. You will need to add a bit more salt than regular as we will be adding besan. Once the salt is incorporated and the onions are wilted well, add in the besan spoon by spoon. The quantity of the besan will depend on how much water the onions have given out. Adding spoon by spoon helps in judging how much flour would be needed. Once the mixture looks wet and the onions get covered with the flour, stir it well and cover and let cook for 5 minutes, on low heat. After 5 mins, stir once and see if the flour is cooked, if not let it cook covered for anr 2 minutes. The subji will stick to the pan, use more oil if needed, or use non stick pan to cook. I like the burnt scrapping so I let it stick before scrapping it into a serving bowl. The peeth perun bhaji is ready for your loved ones.

Now time for some drum roll please. Aparna from Square Meals has again gracefully shared an award with me. This time it's  a little fun fact game along with this award.



Here are the rules for the award
Thank the person who nominated you for this Award and link them back
Then state some 5 random facts about you.
Spread the joy by nominating fellow bloggers, as a way of appreciation.
Finally inform the bloggers about the awards.

5 Random Facts About Ms. Ash

I am a MOM-24/7. meaning you will always find me nagging my kids with Do's and Dont's
I am a Survivor, I do not quit easily.
I am a Gardener..OK new found hobby, will share the pics when my garden is in full bloom
I am a Blogger, yes I heart white plates, blogware in stores and first thing I say is This will look great on my blog.
I am a very positive human. I try to find good things in all people even those who have been bad with me, hurt me and ditched me when I needed them. Trying to see only good and negate the bad helps me sleeping well at night.

Now time to share the joy, Feel free to collect this award from me to you as a return gift for reading 200 posts, supporting me when life was not going great and for just being there for me.Reaching 200 posts would not have been easy if not for your love and wishes and good vibes. I appreciate all that has been showered on me.


Linking this entry to Srav's CC event Moms Recipe









Photobucket

15 comments:

Ansh said...

200 posts!! Well Done Ash. with a busy work life and family life.. you still did it!! way to go!

Square Meals said...

Congratulations Ash, 200 is a superb accomplishment. And, lovely recipe too :-)

Aparna

Zari(Nilam) said...

Congrats for completing 200.....lovely recipe.
http://zariafrozrecipes.blogspot.com/

Sonal said...

Congratulations Ashwini. Way to go girl.Keep up the good work.

Sonal said...

Hey Ashwini, Congratulations and keep the good work. Way to go girl. :)

Manasi said...

Congrats, Ash! this is a milestone indeed! With all the work, kids, home, ya did it!

I like peeth perun bhaji, kanda, kobi, simla mirchi, Marathi mansane saglya mukhya bhajya peeth perun kelya ahet! LOL!

Congrats on the award! loved reading about the 5 things about you and since u so sweetly asked.....Here are 5 random facts about me:

Love reading, the same book , over and over again (Hah! got u there! )

Always desperate to lose weight, but no control on food habits ( u see why I am a food blogger?)

Love munchies, I pick up chips, farsan, kachori at the store and plan on being careful, but have a much at every meal time and also in between.

Love kids books, don't care if people call me silly, childish - i love my Enid Blyton's, Mary Poppins, Dr. Dolittle.. all of it ( pssst - I prefer British Authors)

There are a few things I 'don't do'-I don't do freeways ( unless they are relatively free- of traffic, silly, whaddya think?!!)
I don't do eggplants.
the other don'ts, don't get published on a n open forum ~wink~

Hugs to u!

Aruna Manikandan said...

congratulations and wishing u many more...
wonderful recipe :)

Unknown said...

Congrats on ur 200th post and also on ur award dear!....wonderful milestone reached!...enjoy it!...yummy dish too to celebrate the milestone!

Unknown said...

Congrats Ash. You are really a dedicated blogger. The recipe is a new one for me.......sounds yummy.

chef and her kitchen said...

guess wat..this is wat I planned for dinner tonight...congrats for 200th post...n to tell you almost everyone were like that as a kid,liking the other's things more than ours..:)

Julie said...

Congrats Ash ... Keep rocking, this is a new sabzi to me, looks delicious... Looking forward to see more interesting recipes & do participate in my blog events if time permits :-)

Amarendra said...

Hey, many many congratulations on your 200th post. Its a great achievement. Hats off!!! & nice to know those 5 random facts about you. Even though I have not seen you, I can add one.. A very friendly & hearty person with lotzz of positive attitude..

Priya Suresh said...

Congrats on ur 200th post..thats an interesting dish.

Sravs said...

Congrats on your 200th post !! Keep Rocking !! Quite interesting and super pleasant dish !! Thanks for linking to the event!! Appreciate it :)

Ongoing event CC:Mom’s Recipe

Shobha said...

Never tasted this bhaji..looks tasty and different.