Friday

Sabudana/Sago Shingada/Waterchestntu Wade/Nuggets-Low fat in an Appe/Danish pan.


Traditionally Sabudana wada is deep fried and irresistible Fast food. By Fast food, I mean that it is eaten when one is fasting. But people in Ashland demand it on any occasion and since Ms, Ash is on  a diet, (YES I am Die-eating. Have to.. or else will have to board an express exit from earth train, as my Dr says) I am going slow towards my weight loss and have one complete year to lose about 30 lbs. I lost 09 so far, still beter than nothing, I say to myself.

What  a girl to do!!! If you have ever tasted sabudana wade that are made the good old way, your diet days will be thrown in the GB and any resolutions that you have ever made will be forgotten, most promises to stay away from fried food will be 100% broken. I am not exaggerating, this is all truth and nothing but the truth.

So I found a mid way in all this sabudana wada drama. This is one way I get to eat them and yet not feel bad about myself. I replaced the proportions of boiled potato and peanut powder with water-chestnut flour, which is easily available in any Indian grocery store also known as Singada Atta. And Shallow fried it in my brand new Danish Pan which Mr. Ash ordered on Amazon for me for just $11. He is very cute that way, All I need to do is browse through few pictures of what I want and keep saying.oh I must get it I must get it, and the next time he orders stuff from Amazon, I get lucky. Guess you get the whole point of what I am saying, so now will give you the details without further boring you.

You will need;
1 Cup Soaked Sago--Soak the sago in water for 10 mins and drain all water out and keep covered for good 5-6 hours.
Approx 1 cup Water-chestnut flour-Singada Atta
The proportion will depend on how soggy the sago is, if its less you will require less flour
1 small boiled potato-Optional
2 tbspn roasted peanut powder
1 tbspn Cayenne powder
1 tspn cumin powder
1 tspn Cumin seeds
1 tbspn Chopped Cilantro
1 tsp sugar
Salt to taste.
Water if needed to knead into  a pliable dough

In a bowl combine all the ingredients and mix well. Use little water if needed to bind it into a ball. heat the appe/danish pan and spray it with a non stick spray or use oil whichever you prefer. Cover with a lid and cook it for about 2-3 minutes. Flip the nuggets and repeat the process of covering and cooking.  Enjoy as is or with any sauce/ketchup or traditional coconut chutney.


The same mixture can also be used to make thalipeeth/pancake. but My kids loved the idea of nuggets, so nuggets we made.This is a small change from my side to eat healthy and live life better without compromising much on the taste and food I grew up eating. Hope you all will also join me in my journey to eat well, enjoy taste and live better.

Photobucket

15 comments:

Mina Joshi said...

Love your variation of the recipe. And yes - I want one of those Danish pans!!

Manasi said...

I am getting singhada atta now.
I love.. really love sabudana wada / khichadi,, my only prblem is peanut powder, gives me acidity and migraine, so now i will replace it with this and BOOM! i can eat my fav. wada!
Muah !

Ansh said...

Love the Aebleskiver pans for their versatile use and love how little oil we need to make our favorite foods.

I use singade ka atta on all fasting days. It's a kashmiri family tradition :)

wish you good luck on the staying and eating healthy path!! go girl!

Square Meals said...

Lovely! I want to buy one of those pans too :-)

Aparna

Mélange said...

Healthy snack..I love sabudana.

Julie said...

Lovely Danish pan , new info.. Vada looks a perfect guilt free snack for your dieting,Ash ....:-)

Shivali said...

Congratulation on losing weight.I couldn't help but check the recipe when I saw a low fat sabudana wada.
My family loves sabudana wada but my waistline doesn't permit the deep fried treat.This recipe goes on my MUST TRY list.But before that Mr.Ankita needs to do some Amazon shopping,I guess.I have seen many blogs using the same technique to fry batata wada.

Manali said...

Love sabudana wada's and this recipe will give me a chance to make them often. Hey BTW is that a non-stick danish pan?

Priya Suresh said...

Looks fabulous,healthy and yummy snacks..

Sensible Vegetarian said...

Lovely one Ash. I see you got the appe pan and kick started the series of innovative dishes using it.

Blackswan said...

Hey Ash, this looks like our Asian version of Potato Patty. These are so cute, dear!

Anonymous said...

Very good idea of using Aape Patra. You get them @ Patidar Indian grocery store.

Amarendra said...

Thanks for posting this low cal recipe. Actually I am fond of deep-fried items and Sabudana wada is also very close to my heart. Hya recipe mule aata me unlimited wade khaoo shaken. :-)

Varsha said...

One word...simply brilliant

I mean my diet keeps me miles away from sabudana wadas. But this is awesome!

Shall be tried! Mr. Varsha will like it too

Varsha said...

Tried it today, hats off to your creativity. Thanks for sharing