Sunday

Masale Bhat-- Spiced Rice- maharashtrian delight.


Masale bhat or spiced rice is  a true Marathi delight. No traditional meal is complete without inclusion of this rice. Every house has its own way and style of making this recipe. My younger munchkin loves this rice, but dislikes any veggies so I did not put any of the veggies, as I wanted him to enjoy the rice the way he likes. I guess its OK sometimes to relax the Eat your veggies rule for them also.

You will need;
1 cup rice-- ideally basmati is used, but I have used Sona Masoori
2 cups water-boiling
1 tbspn goda masala-- Maharashtrian black masala. it is important as it gives it it's distinctive taste.
1tsp cumin powder
1 tsp coriander powder
1 tsp haldi/turmeric
1 tsp red Cayenne powder for medium heat
1 bay leaf
2-3 cloves
8-10 peppercorns
8-10 cashews
Salt for taste
2 tbspn oil

Veggies-optional
Tindora-cut into long strips
Carrots, peas and potato, arnd 3/4 cup mixture of all

Garnish;
 Fresh grated coconut and cilantro
dallop of clarified butter/ghee

Wash and drain the rice for 30-45 mins.
In a wok, heat oil, then add the cloves, bay leaf, peppercorns and stir well till the oil gets the flavor of the cloves, then add the veggies and fry it well.then add the rice and roast it well. Then add the turmeric, red cayenne powder, cumin and coriander powder, cashews, salt and the goda masala. let the masala fry well, then add the boiling water to the rice. Cover and let cook the rice for 10-15 mins. Take care that the rice does not stick to the pan, so keep a close eye on the rice. take off the heat, and garnish with cilantro and freshly grated coconut. I did not add cilantro as the head chef was my younger munchkin who decided what would go on the rice for that day!!

Hope you make this marathi delight very soon and update me on how your family likes it.

Sedning this to Gayathri's WTML event  guest hosted by Vegetarian Food and Me.











Photobucket

12 comments:

Spicy-Aroma said...

my all time fav..mast disat aahe masel bhat..drooling here!! :)

chef and her kitchen said...

very delicious rice...even I like this

Blackswan said...

Spiced rice? I could almost smell the aroma from here!! Great dish, Ash!

Manasi said...

To me masale bhaat = lagnacha masale bhaat. I used to love Maharashtrian weddings just because I was sure the menu would have Masale Bhaat and Jilebi ( mathha, of course!)

Good for ur little Munchkin that he eats Masale bhaat, mine still looks and says , " hey nako" VERY decidedly! sigh!

Amarendra said...

Yum & delicious.. I just love Masale Bhaat. Moodivarcha Kaju tar ajunach bhaatachi shobha vadhvat aahe!!

Pasta And Paratha said...

I just loooove masale bhat..thanks for posting the recipe..

Square Meals said...

Looks yummy Ash :-)

Aparna

Anjali Bapna Shukla said...

Perfect flavors and aroma to make one go mad. This looks utter beautiful!! :)

Ongoing Event: Cooking Made Easy With Yogurt

Sensible Vegetarian said...

Very yummy looking flavorful rice.

Shoutforfood said...

Great photos, everything looks so pretty

Julie said...

Looks very delicious n yummy ,never had this before!

Rush in your "Mint & Coriander seeds" entries(EP Series-Apr)
Erivum Puliyum

Rasi said...

this is so new to me.. i love Maharashtrian cuisine and i am sure i will love it. thanks for linking it :)

Ongoing Event : WTML