Sunday

Stuffed Karela/Bitter Melon/Gourd-- Guest post for Chef Kavi and her CWK Series



I am guest posting for Chef Kavi and her CWK Series. It is my great honor to do this post for her. When I first started reading her blog, I imagined Kavi to be older and much closer to my age, but when I spoke with her, I realized that she is still in college and already cooking so much that I at her age could only have even imagined in my wildest dreams. So when she asked me to do a guest post for her, I was lost as to what I should do for her. Then I realized that no one goes the karela way..so here I go where no one goes. Kavi's blog is full of bakes, treats and goodies. May be my post will balance the sweetness on her blog. Thanks Kavi for giving me this opportunity to do this for you. It has been a pleasure doing this for you.

This is yet another Karela recipe. I know I know, I hear the Groans, and see the faces, but believe me guys, this is as good as any karela can get. The bitter groud/melon is bitter before it gets cooked, but once you get to the stuffing and the skin, the bitterness gets sweet.  Try it guys, you will like it... For me..please..... The stuffing is sweet/tangy and spicy all at the same time.

Prep time 
10-15 mins

Cook Time
 20 mins

Servings:
This recipe is for four small to medium Bitter gourds and if served a s a side dish, will be enough for 4 adults or if served as a main vegetable, could do for 2 adults.

For the Stuffing;
1/2 medium onion finely chopped and roasted in 2 tsp oil.
1/2 cup roasted peanuts powder
1 tbspn Jaggery or Gul-- substitute with brown sugar if Jaggery is not found
1 tbspn Juice of Tamarind
2 tbspn Fresh chopped Cilantro
salt to taste
1 tsp Red Chili powder
1 tsp Goda Masala- This is a typical Brahman masala...also called as Black Masala-- substitite with Garam Masala--Famous INdian spice easily found in Indian Grocerys tores
1 tsp Cumin Powder
1 tsp Coriander Powder
4 Bittergourds/Bitter Melon/ Karela-- slit the center and remove all the seeds from the inside, taking care of not ripping the ends.
Twine or Toothpicks top keep the stuffed Karela together and avoid the stuffing form coming out while cooking.
  
Tadka/Tempering
1 tsp jeera/cumin seeds
1 tsp oil or coat the pan well to cook the Karela's

Mix all the stuffing ingredients, if the tamarind juice is not enough, use very little water to bind the mixture. The mixture should be sticky, not wet and easy to hold itself inside the veggie. Now take the slit open bitter melons/ karelas and stuff each one with the above mixture. Seal the open cut with toothpicks or tie them together with cooking twine. I did not have any twine, so used tooth picks. Now in a heated pan, take little oil, heat it well and add the jeera/cumin seeds (the tadka Ingredients) and add the stuffed karela's/veggies... Cover and cook on low heat...Note that the lid should not be removed, if needed slightly shake the pan, so as to ensure nothing sticks to the pan. On a low flame, cook the veggies. Steam them well and cook till done.


Enjoy as a side dish or a vegetable on its own.

Photobucket

8 comments:

Manasi said...

I am one of those karelaphobiacs, but I must tell u this, I do not mind stuffed karela.
I remove the pith, seeds, skin the ridges and salt them and make them once in a blue moon!

Ur recipe looks good and I love the sweet and tangy filling to balance the bitterness :)

Julie said...

congrats on your guest post n karela looks tempting!!

Achu's Amma's Kitchen said...

congrats on ur guest posting....this looks awesome

Blackswan said...

Gosh, I've never seen anything like this before. The bittergourd I cook at home is the bigger version. Would certainly love to try

Unknown said...

those look amazing - never liked karel when I was growing up, but love it now :)

Aarthi said...

This looks totally delicious..

Aarthi
http://www.yummytummyaarthi.com/

Sensible Vegetarian said...

I love the karela and peanut combo, looks super delicious.

Amir said...

Good Recipe